During World War II, the South Side of Chicago was home to one of the largest war plants in the country, used by Dodge-Chrysler to build bomber plane engines. After the war, Preston Tucker leased two of the buildings to build his “Torpedo” car. This site is now the home of the National Archives at Chicago! Our National Archives Education team shares the full story on their Facebook page.
Here are the patent drawings for Tucker’s “Torpedo” car:
Tucker Torpedo Patent Drawing, 6/14/1949, National Archives Identifier 594674