Open to Change

Since my swearing in as the 10th Archivist of the United States less than a year ago, we’ve taken important steps to become a more open, transparent, participatory, and collaborative agency.

I’m proud of our accomplishments:

We’ve made a great start, but we have a lot more to do if we are to be well-positioned to meet the challenges we face in the 21st century.

It’s time for us to step out of our comfort zones and rethink how we operate as an agency.

A few months ago, I charged a task force to draft a plan for agency transformation. A draft plan was circulated internally for staff input. I’d like to thank the NARA staff who submitted hundreds of thoughtful comments on the proposed plan. Their insight was indispensable in the development of the final report.

Last week their final report, “A Charter for Change,” was issued to staff. The report outlines a new organizational model for the National Archives. These organizational changes are driven by a set of guiding principles. These are the pillars of how we intend to do business in the future. They are:

• One NARA: work as one NARA and not just as component parts.
  • Out in Front: Embrace the primacy of electronic information in all facets of our work and position NARA to lead accordingly.
  • An Agency of Leaders: Foster a culture of leadership, not just as a position but as the way we all conduct our work.
  • A Great Place to Work: Transform NARA into a great place to work that trusts and empowers all of our people, the agency’s most vital resource.
  • A Customer-Focused Organization: Create structures and processes to allow our staff to more effectively meet the needs of our customers.
  • An Open NARA: Open our organizational boundaries to learn from others.

It’s going to take courage and creativity to “hard-wire” these pillars into our culture and our work. We need to move forward quickly with the proposed changes. It’s crucial that each of us feels a sense of urgency and makes a commitment to these changes. We need to pull together as an agency to be successful.

Leonardo da Vinci said, “I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.”

We are moving fast. During November and December, the Transformation Launch Team will work with staff to identify the core ideology and values of the agency, identify and implement specific action items, and draft the remaining organization structure of the agency. The transformation will ensure that Open Government at the National Archives not only continues, but flourishes in ways we have not yet imagined.

I am calling on all of you to be champions of change as we move forward. Staff, researchers, and citizen archivists will need to be flexible and forward looking, open to the challenges, and ready to participate.

Are you in?

This entry was posted in Collaboration, NARA Records, Open Government, Participation, Records Management, Social Media, Transparency. Bookmark the permalink.

74 Responses to Open to Change

1. Christopher Zarr says:

I’m all in.

2. Shannon Olsen says:

How exciting! I am in!

3. Susan Ashtianie says:

You bet! Ready to make this happen!

4. Don McIlwain says:

In! Looking forward to building on the six pillars.

5. Rick Blondo says:

Indeed, I’m in. May we forge ahead buoyed by what is best about us, braced against the tempest, strengthened by the place we hold in our Democracy.

6. Carol Buswell says:

I am all about “one NARA!”

7. Joe Scanlon says:

I’m in. Ready to see, and be a part of, change at NARA!

8. David Weinberg says:

It’s 9:15 somewhere, and I’m in, and I’ll be in as we move NARA ahead. Exciting times for all of us!!

9. Betsy Sargent Webber says:

I am in. So ready to see this all happen. This is wonderful!!

10. Donna Fisher says:

I’m in!

11. Mary Lynn Ritzenthaler says:

These are exciting, energizing days. Yes, count me in!!

12. Meg Phillips says:

Our mission is too important NOT to do this. Let’s get “out in front”!

13. Shelby DeRieux says:

Me too! Let’s go.

14. Mike Fitzgerald says:

I’ll let this quote speak for me:

“Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him.” Dwight D. Eisenhower

15. Kitty Nicholson says:

If nothing ever changed, there’d be no butterflies.
    Let’s see what butterflies emerge.

16. Sue Karren says:

OK. Let’s stop talking and start doing.

17. Kate Theimer says:

The proposed reorganization seems logical and the goals admirable. But I think this deserves more than a simple “me too!” so anyone interested in a lengthier response can read my thoughts, “The Beginning of Real Change at NARA?” at: http://www.archivesnext.com/?p=1670

18. Rand Jimerson says:

David, This is an open and positive step in the right direction. As an outside observer, I am glad to see NARA engaged in some valuable re-conceptualization of its public roles and its organizational structure. Let me know if I can provide any assistance or support.

Rand Jimerson
    Western Washington University

19. Jerry Simmons says:

I’m in, and always will be when plans call for changes to transform NARA into a leadership hub … not just in government, but in the global archives community. Fine examples of NARA leadership are already evident in description, social media, open government, etc., but we can do more. Here’s hoping NARA management will listen closely to its leaders in the ranks.

Jerry Simmons
    NARA Authority Team Lead

20. NS says:

NARA must develop into an unsurpassed institution, at the forefront of archival theory and practice. If in my small way I’m able to contribute toward its cultural metamorphosis, I do so willingly.

21. Cindy Smolovik says:

I am in!

22. Bryan Moll says:

As a researcher I am happy to respond to your call for flexibility and foresight. I am very optimistic about these proposed initiatives for reorganization, but I also understand that this is going to take a long time. I hope we’ll be able to help each other successfully address the challenges that lay ahead as they emerge. I wish the NARA staff, and David much success as they work hard to reflect the ideologies represented by this new organizational model, and embark on a mission that appears to be quite a risk, and I respect the courage that will be exemplified in the coming years. I especially would like to show my support to the leadership as they will likely face unfamiliar burdens. It is a daunting task; however, I am very excited to see what unfolds over the next few years!

23. Jimmy Little says:

In order to be successful in life, we must learn to embrace change. Change can be a very positive thing when it improves your lifestyle. Be open to change for what you can learn from it. I am in!

24. bruce montgomery says:

This is a significant development. Good news. It can’t be easy to try and alter an entire agency culture. All the best in this endeavor.

Comments are closed.